Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Band Saw Parts Arrive Sooner Than I Expected

I ordered the replacement parts for my band saw from DeWalt's ServiceNet Monday evening and they were waiting for me when I got home from work this afternoon. The two trunnions came to around $30.00 including shipping, so the damage could certainly have been much more costly. I was was pleased to see that the replacements look a bit sturdier than the originals. I measured the thinnest point of the original casting to be 0.050" where the replacements are closer to 0.075", a 50% increase. While not exactly massive, the new parts should have a better chance of surviving the strains of day to day use.

Much as I would like to install the parts this evening so I can get back to work, I will have to wait until the weekend to complete the repairs. As long as I have the table off, I will be cleaning and lubricating both the upper and lower blade guide assemblies. I will also need to clean and lubricate the thrust bearings, which feel a bit rough. I will be posting at least an initial description of the repairs with photos by Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment