Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shaker Hanging Shelf - Done!

Shaker Hanging Shelf - Complete
The first example of my Shaker Hanging Shelf is complete. After glue up, I applied two coats of de-waxed shellac. Once the second coat of shellac was dry, I applied a coat of paste wax using 0000 steel wool to help smooth out any remaining imperfections in the finish. You can judge the results yourself, but I am really pleased with the way the finish brought out the natural grain and color of the cherry. Over time, the wood will darken to a rich brown.

I made a trip to Kettle Moraine Hardwoods yesterday morning and purchased another 22 board feet of cherry, half 4/4 thickness and half 5/4. I milled up a small amount to use as the sides of another Hanging Shelf and am happy to report that it is beautiful material! I haven't decided which thickness will turn out more economical for me in the long run, so for now I am experimenting with both.

I had to order some larger shipping boxes to accommodate the shelf, so I will be planning my next project while I wait for my order to arrive. I am considering a serving tray based on a surviving Shaker piece, but need to adjust the proportions to better suit present day needs. I will post more information as the design evolves...

No comments:

Post a Comment