Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Project - Shaker Hanging Shelf

The Shakers produced several variations of this set of hanging shelves, some more elegant than others. My version takes its inspiration from the measured drawing in Ejner Handberg's Shop Drawings of Shaker Furniture and Woodenware. I decided to make my shelf unit roughly half the size of Ejner's original, appropriate for use as a spice rack or for the display of small objects. The original was designed to be screwed to a pegboard strip attached to the wall. I have incorporated a small length of pegboard into my design to allow the hanging of measuring spoons, keys, etc.

I produced a set of half-size drawings to allow me to tweak the details before committing them to wood. The front view shows the spacing of the shelves and the placement of the batten used for hanging the unit. I will have to check my stock of hardwood, but I anticipate making the first set of shelves from cherry, 1/2" thick. I think figured maple would also make be excellent choice here. I will wait until the design is finalized, however, before committing it to the more difficult to obtain maple. I will begin by preparing the templates and the hardwood stock for the project.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment